How You Can Make Your Own Cannabis-Filled Capsules
Cannabis capsules are an easy, discreet, and super-effective way to medicate. Taking a pill blends more seamlessly into most people’s daily routine than smoking, vaporizing, or eating an edible.
Making cannabis capsules at home is a simple way to ensure you’re ingesting medicine that suits your individual needs.
Low-dose of cannabinoids daily can help ease a variety of ailments, and when you’re treating a chronic disorder it’s important to consistently flood your body with healing cannabinoids.
There are two routes to take when making your own capsules — infused oil or decarboxylated dry cannabis flower .
Some prefer to have an oil base because raw cannabis can be slightly harder for sensitive stomachs to digest. But if you’re looking for speed and ease, raw decarboxylated flower is the way to go and it’s just as effective.
To determine the potency, let’s do some quick math
We will be using “0” size capsules that can hold approximately 500 milligrams .
For calculating the decarbed flower capsules, we’re going to assume the material used is approximately 5 percent THC by weight. This means there is 50 mg of THC for each 1 gram of plant material. Each pill capsule holds about 0.5 gram of plant material, which is approximately 5 mg of activated THC. By those calculations, each decarbed flower capsule will contain approximately 5 mg of THC.
For the oil-based capsules, you can adjust the potency based on how much cannabis you infuse into the oil. I’ve laid out two options below. If you’d like a stronger pill, simply infuse more flower in the oil. As mentioned above, a size 0 capsule will hold about 500 milligrams, but the aim is to fill the capsule to about 80 percent of its capacity, or 400 milligrams for dry flower. The equivalent fluid weight is 400 milliliters.
For the sake of consistency, we will assume that the average gram of cannabis contains 50 mg of THC.
7 grams of cannabis into ¼ cup oil: (7 grams x 50mg THC = 350mg of THC) *¼ cup = 59.1 mL
— 350mg divided by 59.1 mL = 5.9 mg per mL
— 5.9 mg THC per mL x 0.4 mL (per capsule) = 2.36 mg THC
14 grams of cannabis into ¼ cup oil: (14 grams x 50mg THC = 700mg of THC) *¼ cup = 59.1 mL
— 700mg divided by 59.1 mL = 11.8 mg per mL
— 11.8 mg THC per mL x 0.4 mL (per capsule) = 4.72 mg THC
If you’d like a capsule with an infused-oil base, begin by making cannabis-infused oil — follow these recipes to make homemade oil with coconut oil or olive oil .
If you’d like raw herbs, begin by preheating your oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 105 degrees Celsius. While the oven is preheating, grind up your cannabis finely with an herb grinder , coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread your cannabis crumble evenly on top. Bake for about 60 minutes, making sure the oven doesn’t rise above 250 degrees Fahrenheit, or 121 degrees Celsius.
If you’re looking for an extra punch of herbal healing in either recipe, try adding some of the following herbs into the canna-oil or simply mix them with your post-decarbed cannabis powder:
- For calming sleep capsules, add powdered valerian root, skullcap, lemon balm, or hop flower.
- For nutritious superfood capsules, add spirulina, chlorella, or turmeric.
- For energizing daytime capsules, add gingko root, astragalus, or maca root.
After the cannabis is decarbed or the oil is infused, it’s time to fill the capsules. Using a capsule machine shortens this process to 5 minutes or less, but it’s possible to fill them without one. I would definitely recommend a machine; they are less than $20 and save a lot of money in the long run if you consistently make a variety of herbal capsules.
Begin by separating the tops and bottoms of the capsules; the bottoms are the slightly larger of the two sides. Place the bottom half of the capsules in the base of the capsule machine.
If you chose the dry-herb capsules, pour your herbal mixture into the pill maker. You can do straight cannabis, but I decided to mix some valerian root and nettle into mine for that extra nutritious oomph.
Use a card to evenly spread the herbs across the capsule openings. Use the tamping tool included with the capsule kit to gently press the herbs down, and add some more if there’s room. Fill the lid of the capsule machine with the capsule tops and place on the device. Remove the machine from its stand and press down with both hands until the capsules are joined together. Lift, remove the filled capsules, and voila!
If you chose the oil-based capsules, use a syringe or dropper to carefully fill the bottoms of the capsules.
(Note: if you’re using coconut oil, it needs to be warmed in order to remain viscous to make the filling process easier. However, if the oil is too warm it can melt the capsules, so it’s important to stay in that neutral temperature zone).
Once the capsules are filled, place the tops of the capsules into the lid of the machine and place on the device. Move the machine off its stand and press down on the top of the machine with both hands. Lift, remove the filled capsules, and you have some golden cannabis capsules!How You Can Make Your Own Cannabis-Filled Capsules Cannabis capsules are an easy, discreet, and super-effective way to medicate. Taking a pill blends more seamlessly into most people’s daily
Canna Caps Tutorial – How to Make Cannabis Capsules
by Sirius Fourside
Many thanks to Old Hippie, whose tutorial taught me this recipe on how to make cannabis oil caps. You can check out his original article here!
Cannabis has been gaining more and more legal ground with Americans lately. Well over half of US states have legalized “medical marijuana” in some form, eleven states have already legalized cannabis across the board, and many more states are already talking about legalization in future ballots.
Canadians love weed just as much; they went even further and made it legal for adults across the entire country! How great is that!
Unfortunately, this rising popularity also comes with people getting into the business of providing “medicine” that isn’t quality checked. We know another cannabis advocate who was hospitalized shortly after using a cannabis extract that still contained isopropyl alcohol!
Luckily, you can make your own extracts using items that are 100% safe for consumption!
In this article, you will learn to make cannabis caps using only cannabis and coconut oil as the ingredients. And not only are cannabis caps safe to consume, they’re also safe to make! There is no fire or flammables involved; the most dangerous part is baking your cannabis in an oven at 225°F(107°C)! Let’s get started!
The caps pictured above are super-potent! We used almost an ounce of weed to make these 25 cannabis capsules!
Get All The Stuff You Need to Make Cannabis Caps!
What You’ll Need
Get the tools to make your own cannabis caps! The odds are that you already have some of the items you need to make caps of your very own, and most of the materials last quite a while, so they end up being cheap in the long run.
5.5 grams of cannabis
- Buds or trim can be used; buds produce a stronger effect.
- You can reduce or increase the amount of bud/trim used depending on your preference. The caps produced by the recipe will definitely be potent, but shouldn’t feel too strong.
- Coconut oil is the vehicle that will carry all the good stuff in your weed. It’s healthy, smells nice, has a non-offensive taste, and is easy to work with.
- You can find these at health stores, but it’s much more convenient to get them online.
- It’s possible to fill the caps one at a time, but it’s very cumbersome. This cheap little kit makes the whole process go much faster!
- The small size of this one is perfect for this recipe. Any crock-pot you use needs a “warm” setting.
- This is used to break up your cannabis buds or trim. You can use a grinder or your hands to break up the cannabis as a low-budget option.
- At one point, you’ll need to squeeze cannabis oil out of a little bag. A potato ricer presses harder than bare hands and it keeps your hands clean of oil.
- Found in the cooking aisle of grocery stores, or online.
10ml Oral Irrigator (Syringe with Tapered Deep Reach)
- You don’t want to try to pour the cannabis oil into tiny capsules. These (no-needle) syringes are an easy fix to that problem. The tapered reach makes it easy to fill capsules without spills.
Items You Might Already Have
Baking sheet (cookie sheet)
- For baking (decarboxylating) your weed before making it into cannabis oil.
2 small microwave-safe containers
- One container is for holding the tops of empty caps, the other is for holding your cannabis oil.
- Use foil to line your baking sheet. This prevents your weed from sticking as much.
A couple of rubber bands
Every item listed above (except for the cannabis) can be purchased on Amazon.com. It’s typically the easiest and most time efficient way to get your supplies if the price is right for you.
Warning: This Will Stink Up Your House
The process of decarboxylating and cooking your cannabis in oil will make something that can only be described as ‘an insanely potent cannabis smell’. Our solution (since we don’t share vents/air with neighbors) is to keep the smell bottled up in our house for the entire cooking time while running a fan + carbon scrubber combo. Once the caps are done and the smell isn’t being actively produced any longer, we let the fan and scrubber run for a bit longer and filter the remaining smell before opening any doors or windows.
Cooking Time: 5 hours
Short Version (full instructions below)
- Break up cannabis
- Cook it in an oven at 225° F for 1 hour to decarboxylate cannabis (“release” cannabinoids). It will stink! Don’t skip this step or the caps won’t be as potent.
- Grind up decarboxylated cannabis to a powder
- Mix ground cannabis with coconut oil in crock-pot
- Cook on Warm setting for 3 hours
- Strain oil and put oil in caps with Cap-M-Quik kit
One more thing…
When you finally finish making these amazing canna caps, make sure you dose slowly! They can come on really strong depending on how you make them, so it’s best to slowly test how they affect you. Try taking only 1-2 for the first few hours. If that doesn’t end up being enough, you can try taking more next time, or even make them stronger!
How to Make Cannabis Caps
1.) Preheat your oven to 225° F.
2.) Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. This prevents cannabis from becoming stuck to the sheet.
3.) Measure out 5.5g of cannabis buds/trim (we’ll assume they’re buds from here on).
4.) Lightly grind your buds/trim so they cook more evenly.
- Food processor: Low setting for 5 seconds.
- Grinder (or by hand): Grind pieces to pinky-nail size or smaller.
5.) Spread your ground-up buds over the aluminum foil on the baking sheet.
6.) Place the baking sheet in your oven and set a timer for 1 hour.
- This is where it starts getting really smelly!
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- While you’re waiting, move on to steps 7 and 8.
7.) Plug in your crock-pot. It will turn on and immediately start heating, but it takes a while to fully heat up.
8.) Measure 60ml (1/4 cup) of virgin coconut oil and add it to the crock-pot. You can leave it heating up while your bud is cooking.
9.) Remove the dried cannabis from the oven and grind it up again to a fine powder.
- Food processor: High setting for 20 seconds.
- Hand Grinder: Grind buds to super small pieces.
10.) Add the ground-up bud to the crock pot. There should be enough coconut oil to completely submerge the weed.
11.) Stir the mixture and allow it to cook for 3 hours.
- I’ve allowed the mixture to cook in the crock-pot overnight for convenience, but I didn’t really notice much difference in potency compared to leaving it for 3 hours. Cooking longer than 3 hours doesn’t seem to help or hurt.
- Stir the mixture about once an hour; don’t use plastic to stir the mixture!
12.) Set up your Cap-M-Quik per the directions on the back of the box.
- Most cap-filling machines come with a “tamper” which is used to pack the caps with more material. You won’t need the tamper for this since you’re working with a liquid instead of dry herb.
13.) Set up 50 capsules in the Cap-M-Quik per the instructions on the back of the box. The tops of each cap should be held in one of the two containers so they don’t get lost.
14.) Cut off a square of cheesecloth. It should be a bit more than twice the width of the microwave-safe container.
15.) Fold the cheesecloth in half (so it’s twice as thick) and place it over the container. Hold the cheesecloth in place with a rubber band. You’ll use this to strain your oil mixture.
16.) Unplug the crock-pot and let it sit for 15 minutes so everything can cool a bit.
17.) Slowly pour or spoon all the contents of the crock pot onto the cheesecloth. The oil should slowly drip/pour into the container.
18.) Untie or cut the rubber band(s) from the container without letting the cheesecloth fall in. Bundle up the bud, and squeeze as much oil as you can from the cheesecloth/bud. Make sure all the oil goes through the cheesecloth so it filters out the bud. Be careful because the oil is probably very hot!
- If you don’t want to squeeze it in your hands (again, it’s hot!), you could place the cheesecloth over a mesh strainer and mash the bud down to get as much oil as you can.
- Don’t worry about getting a little bud in the caps, it won’t harm you.
19.) Throw out the wrung-out bud into your garbage disposal if you have one, and securely dispose of the cheesecloth.
20.) Use the tapered syringe to to suck up the cannabis-laden coconut oil, and gently fill the caps one at a time. Be careful not to overfill the caps.
- If the syringe gets blocked up, squirt some oil back into the container to clear the blockage so you don’t unleash a huge gush of oil on your capsules.
21.) Close the capsules (full instructions on the back of the Cap-M-Quik). Basically, you’re just taking the tops of the capsules from before, and putting them on the bottoms you’ve just filled up. When you put the tops on the caps, you should notice a *snap* as it clicks securely in place.
- You may need to press harder than you’d guess to get the caps to *snap*. It’s caused by two ridges connecting to keep the two sides of the cap together.
- If you overfilled any caps, don’t worry. Continue closing the caps, and when you’re done, empty the finished caps onto a paper towel and gently clean any excess oil off your capsules.
22.) Place the finished caps into a container and refrigerate until you’re ready to use them. You can eat them straight from the fridge without thawing. The caps will turn a lighter color after they’re cooled, due to the coconut oil solidifying.
- You can also keep them outside the fridge, but they may start to melt if it gets really hot.
- I’ve used capsules that were in my refrigerator for over a year and they were still potent!
There you have it! You should have about 50 (depending on the chef) cannabis pills ready for consumption. Remember that the amounts used in this tutorial are just a guide. You could easily adjust this recipe to make more caps, and to make them much weaker or stronger.
This is what Canna Caps look like after they’ve cooled off…
All that dark stuff is cannabis oil!
How to make cannabis extract oil (a different way to get cannabis oil)
How to Make Dry Ice Hash (quickest and most efficient way to get hash!)Learn how to make Canna Caps (cannabis capsules), a potent marijuana extract that's safe to use, easy to make and only has 2 ingredients: Weed & Coconut Oil ]]>