How To Clean Hemp Shoes
Hemp is a natural fiber that is slowly gaining wider acceptance as another strong natural material suitable for clothing, shoes and bags. Previously hemp was rough and stiff and mainly used for sacks and other items that do not need a finer finish. Experimentation and continued testing and improvements have made hemp a good fabric for canvas shoes and bags. Canvas shoes made from hemp are comfortable and breathable, making it ideal to wear during summer and for light treks. As such, hemp shoes can get very dirty easily. Below are some tips on how to clean hemp shoes.
- If your hemp shoes are caked with mud let the mud dry first as dried mud is easier to remove than wet mud which tends to spread more as you wipe. Scrape off as much of the dried mud as possible and remove those that have been embedded in the grooves of the rubber soles by tapping the soles of your hemp shoes together to loosen the soil. Place sheets of newspaper on the floor to make the clean up easier. Use a damp cloth to wipe off the rest of the caked mud on the rubber parts of your hemp shoes.
- If your hemp shoes have laces, remove them and wash them separately. You can soak them in warm, soapy water in a basin. If the laces are white you can add a few drops of bleach to the water to make your laces whiter.
While you can clean and wash your hemp shoes in the washing machine most manufacturers do not recommend this method since this weakens the glue that holds the shoe parts together. It also causes the rubber siding and soles to become quite brittle. Keep your hemp shoes smelling nice by dusting some baking soda on the insides of your shoes and letting it absorb the odor. Simply shake the baking soda off when you need to wear your hemp shoes again.Need help cleaning hemp shoes? Get cleaning tips to keep hemp materials from getting dirty. Here’s how to clean hemp shoes.
Friday, August 21, 2015
Clean Hemp Shoes
Over the years, advancements have been made in the breeding of hemp to be used as apparel. Once available only as a very coarse fiber, this new treatment of fibers produces a finer, much softer fiber. This more sophisticated form of hemp is growing in popularity for use in clothing, bags, backpacks and shoes. There have been many questions and few answers on the care of hemp products and hemp shoes in particular.
1. Machine wash your shoes. Hemp shoes can be washed in the washing machine just like any other shoes if needed, but too many washings will reduce the life of the shoe. As the shoes get older, machine washings should become less frequent.
2. Remember to be gentle. Put the shoes in the washing machine on gentle cycle with a mild detergent. An eco-friendly mild detergent is the best choice.
3. Dry carefully. Once the shoes are washed, they should not go into the dryer. Let them dry out naturally, but don’t leave them out in direct sunlight because they may fade.
4. Check your product. Hemp apparel and accessories is still relatively new and instructional care for the products is a work in progress. These cleaning instructions are a basic method of cleaning hemp shoes if no other information is available, but always refer to cleaning instructions that came with your product when available.
Hemp shoes and other cloth shoes require gentle cleaning shoe care, such as a mild soap. Learn more about cleaning hemp shoes with tips from a shoe repair expert in this free shoe care video.
Expert: Mike Summers
Bio: Mike Summers owns and operates Jim The Shoe Doctor, offering complete shoe care, from cleaning and polishing to resoling, resizing and general repair.
Filmmaker: max koetter
Tags: Clean Hemp, Clean Hemp Shoes, cleaning instructions, have been, hemp shoes, mild detergentDry Cleaning Friday, August 21, 2015 Clean Hemp Shoes Over the years, advancements have been made in the breeding of hemp to be used as apparel. Once available only as a very coarse ]]>