How To Make Dry Ice Hash aka Bubble Hash
If you’re interested in making dry ice hash, we shall guide you through the process of make high-quality and delicious hash using dry ice.
You’re excited to learn how to make dry ice hash, and we’re excited to guide you through the process. The sheer power and quality of dry ice hash will make you question your prior dry herb vaping decisions. Here we present a step-by-step guide on how to create quality dry ice hash, which shall induce smooth and superb highs. Let’s dive in!
First, let’s begin with the basics. There are many different types of hash, made by using various different methods. Hash is a cannabis concentrate, which is produced with or without solvents. The dry ice method creates a solventless hash, because no substances are used to chemically extract the cannabinoids from the plant. Solventless hash is always considered a “purer” product, because no chemicals were involved in the process.
STEP BY STEP
- The first step of making dry ice hash is getting some dry ice. You can purchase it in a supermarket, if not, just google “where to buy dry ice” in the language of your residence. Dry ice is very cold, it measures approximately -78.5°C. You’ll need to purchase some thick gloves for handling dry ice. Never touch dry ice with your bare skin! Next on the shopping list is a mesh bag, a specially designed sifting bag for making dry ice hash. Just search for “dry ice extraction bags”, that’s what you need. They differ in their design, however, the most important part is their mesh, basically how small the “sifting holes” are. The less micron, the higher quality hash shall be produced. A 73-micron bag will produce golden high-quality kief (resin in powder form, which is used to make hash). A 160-micron bag will include slightly more plant material in the kief mix, but will still result in high-quality hash. Some sift bags are sealed on the sides, while some allow the sifting all the way throughout the bag. For more control, the former one is advised. Also, buy a plastic container in which you’ll be able to shake the mesh bag in comfort. You could do the sifting on any dry and flat surface, however, you don’t want the kief dusting outside of your designated area. Also, purchase a pollen press for turning the kief into a compact hash piece. Once all the equipment is purchased and set up, it’s time to make some dry ice hash!
- Place the plant material, trimmings and/or buds, into the mesh bag, put on your gloves, and place the dry ice pieces into the bag. You might want to crush the dry ice with a hammer and insert smaller pieces for logistical purposes and to improve the cooling process. When the dry ice and plant material are in contact, it slightly freezes the plant, the trichomes become very brittle, and easily detach from the plant, that’s why the dry ice is necessary. Now, hold the mesh bag with your hands over the plastic container or a flat and smooth surface from which you can easily collect the kief.
- Start shaking the bag with control, you’ll notice golden powder sprinkling on the surface – that’s your precious kief! Shake the bag for 10 seconds, wait for 5 seconds, start shaking again, and repeat. This will allow the cold to spread more evenly. Once there’s no more kief coming out, place all the material into a second mesh bag with a bigger mesh size, and repeat the shaking process. You can separate the kief coming from different mesh bags, or you can mix everything together, it’s your choice.
Whatever you do, don’t have any air circulation going in the area where you’re extracting kief, otherwise, the kief will blow into the air and all over the room!
- Once you’ve scraped the kief with a credit card or similar tool, collect it wherever you see fit. You could skip the hash-making stage, and sprinkle some of that kief into a joint and make it exponentially more potent. But be patient, and finalize the process by turning kief into dry ice hash – we believe in you.
- Place the kief in the Pollen Press, close the lid, tighten the press, and you shall receive nice small blocks of high-quality dry ice hash! So, there you have it, folks. Make sure to organize every step beforehand to ensure a successful extraction. We hope that this guide has provided you with all the information necessary to create some killer dry ice hash!
Making dry ice hash is not as hard as it seems. Click here, and discover a very easy recipe to make quality dry ice hash.
How To Make Dry Ice Hash from Buds/Trim
Let’s get straight to it:
Making hash with dry ice is the easiest, fastest, and (more importantly) the most efficient means of extracting resin from your cannabis. In short, it’s our collective opinion (all 2 of us) that Dry Ice Hash is the best means of making hash…period!
Pretty big statement right? It’s even bigger when you consider how seriously people take hashish in today’s world!
Regardless, we’ll stand by that statement, and we’re confident that by the end of this article you’ll be itching to try making some dry ice hash. And we’re even more confident that once you do try making it, you won’t go back to any other method unless someone invents ‘Resin Teleportation™’.
We’ll make sure you get set up with the all the information you need, but first, let’s start things off with a picture of what we collected in under 15 minutes total!
What is Hashish (Hash)?
There’s a very popular book written in 1998 called Hashish!, and it tends to be treated as the end-all source of hash-related information. Here’s their definition of hashish:
“Hashish is a psychoactive drug prepared from the resin glands of the female (pistillate) Cannabis plant. […]The idea is to isolate (and thus concentrate) the THC-containing resin in order to make hashish.”
Simply put, hashish (which we’ll now just call hash), is just the isolated resin glands of the cannabis plant. Even simpler, hash is when you get the good sticky stuff from your cannabis all by itself. In a sense, hash is distilled cannabis!
Keep in mind that not all hash is the same. Some types of hash are made with solvents and can still contain said solvents when finished. BHO (Butane Hash Oil) has become very popular lately, but there have also been many cases where batches still contain significant levels of butane. That’s not to say that BHO always contains excess butane, just that it has the possibility. When hash or hash oil is made correctly, no trace of solvents should remain in the finished product.
That being said, using dry ice to extract resin will leave you with nothing but the resin itself because it is solventless. The CO2 is used to freeze off the resin, and then turns directly into gas. Your trim/bud never even gets wet! So you can make hash using this method without any additional concern other than careful handling and usage of the dry ice.
How is Dry Ice Hash different?
Here’s another pertinent piece of info from the book Hashish!,
“The process of hash-making can be divided into two parts – resin collection, and resin preparation.”
Although not all hash is the same, many types of hash are pretty darn close. Water hash – also called ice hash, bubble hash, gravity(Gumby) hash, and dry ice hash all produce forms of the same product: isolated resin glands. The difference between methods comes down to how the resin is taken off the plant, and how the hash comes out afterward.
Although many methods produce the same or a similar product, using dry ice has advantages in many areas that end up making it superior to other means of resin collection:
- It’s faster than other methods.
- You can finish making dry ice hash in about 1/25th of the total time it takes to make gravity hash! Although that example is extreme, it only takes a few minutes to make dry ice hash and is much faster than other methods.
- It’s insanely easy
- And that ease translates to it being quickly gratifying. You get top grade hash at the cost of shaking a bucket and a bag for a combined total of less than 15 minutes.
- There’s no moisture!
- That means the resin is ready as soon as it’s shaken loose!
So, back to that quote: “The process of hash-making can be divided into two parts – resin collection, and resin preparation.”
We know that collecting the resin is easy with this method, but what about preparation? Let’s go back to ‘Hashish!’ one more time to see why we need ‘resin preparation’:
“Primarily, [preparation] makes resin powder a more easily transported and marketed commodity. Secondly, since early-smokers lacked metal pipe screens that could contain raw resin powder during smoking, they made the loose powder into solid pieces, convenient for smoking.”
In short, preparation makes your hash easier to sell (which we STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST) and easier to use (if you’re somehow reading this 40 years in the past). In other words, it’s completely unnecessary in our case! We’ll save time and effort by skipping any post-processing, and there are no real drawbacks!
Alright, enough background and quotes, let’s get started!
How to make Dry Ice Hash
We’ll be showing you how to make dry ice hash using hash bags of the following sizes: 73, 160, and 220. Here’s why we picked these sizes:
- 73 will catch nothing but resin in this case
- The good stuff – only actual trichomes with no vegetative matter at all! Golden colored and powerfully potent!
- 160 will catch mid grade with a bit more ‘green stuff’ in it
- Not as high quality as 73, but still great and definitely worth collecting!
- 220 catches pretty much everything else that’s not an actual leaf or stem
- This will have much more plant matter than the other two, but still much less than actual bud. This will smell like a concentrated form of your buds! I personally skip 220, but I would strongly suggest collecting 220 at least once before dismissing it, to see if it works for you!
If you’re going to do just one extraction, I personally would do the 120 (more pure) or 160 (more yield) Micron bags by themselves.
From left to right: 73 Micron, 160 Micron and 220 Micron Dry Ice Hash
Closeup of 73 Micron hash (most pure – just trichomes)
Closeup of 160 Micron Extract (more green matter, but still very high quality)
This is the 220 Micron dry ice hash
What You Need to Make Dry Ice Hash
- One sanitized 5-gallon bucket
- Cannabis trim/bud
- 3lbs of dry ice
- You may need more or less depending on how much bud/trim you use. 3lbs will cover a little to at least 6oz.
- Click here to go to a page that will let you search for dry ice in your area.
- Bubble bags/Hash Bags/Pollen Bags
- You’ll need 3 sizes for this tutorial: 73, 160, 220. These sizes are standard for this type of bag.
- Thick, insulating sturdy gloves
- No latex gloves, you need protection against -109.3°F cold. Snow gloves or BBQ gloves will do the trick.
- A scraping tool
- An unused paint scraper works great, but a credit card will do.
- A large, CLEAN, flat surface
- This will collect your hash, so make sure it’s clean!
- We used a large piece of new plexiglass (cheap at Home Depot) on a table.
Dry Ice Handling
Dry ice has some inherent risks due to its extremely low temperature and the fact that it sublimates (turns directly into a gas), but it’s actually very safe to use! Just check out these quick safety tips, exercise a little caution, and this will be a smooth and fun experience!
- Make sure you work in a well-ventilated area.
- Dry ice turns directly into CO2 gas. Although it’s a small amount of CO2 and doesn’t really pose a threat to you, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Don’t put dry ice in an airtight container.
- Dry ice turns into gas which will pressurize the container it’s in. Eventually, you’ll get a top shooting off unexpectedly, or worse, an exploding container!
- Don’t touch dry ice with your bare hands
- Dry ice measures -190.3°F at its warmest. It won’t kill you to grab it, but it’s no fun to get freezer burn either.
- Dispose of dry ice safely
- If you put dry ice down your sink or toilet, you could freeze your water pipes and end up with a massive repair bill. When you’re done with dry ice, just leave it in a well-ventilated area and it’ll simply turn into gas and leave.
Step-By-Step: How to Make Your Own Dry Ice Hash
Basically, you just shake a hash bag full of cannabis + dry ice and piles of resin will start raining out!
You’ve got your materials together and you know how to handle dry ice… let’s have some fun!
- Dump your (ground up) cannabis and dry ice into the 5-gallon bucket.
- Take the size 73 hash/bubble/pollen bag and fit it over the opening of the bucket, then shake and swirl the bucket around for 3-4 minutes. The process of shaking the cannabis around with dry ice freezes the resin so it starts breaking off from the cannabis and is more easily collected.
- Turn the bucket upside-down, emptying both the dry ice and cannabis into the hash bag, with the mesh side facing down.
- Shake the bag over a clean flat surface.This will cause resin to sift through the mesh part of the bag and fall out onto the surface like it’s raining resin! Keep shaking until you don’t see any resin falling out or you just can’t shake anymore 🙂
- Use your scraper to collect the newly fallen resin into a pile and transfer it into a container of your choice.
- Dump the cannabis and dry ice back into the bucket and repeat steps 2-5 with the size 160 pollen bag. Then again with the 220 bag.
You should now have 3 grades of your own solvent-free, homemade hash: 73 (pure resin), 160 (not as pure but still really good stuff), and 220 (it’s super fragrant and super free!). Enjoy!
FYI: Hash can be sprinkled over bud, vaporized, smoked directly with a screen, and mixed into joints. If you’re unfamiliar with hash, starting slowly will help ensure you don’t use too much – this stuff is powerful!
How To Make Dry Ice Hash from Buds/Trim Let’s get straight to it: Making hash with dry ice is the easiest, fastest, and (more importantly) the most efficient means of extracting resin from